Thank you for your interest in volunteering with CDF Freedom School® Austin.
We are more than a program, Freedom Schools is a movement to give children fundamental resources needed to develop their potential.
All volunteer activities are conducted according to recommended social distancing protocols, including the use of masks.
Occasionally, photos of volunteers in action may be used in Welcome Table media; you can opt out by notifying our Director of Parent Engagement. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
To sign up for current volunteer shifts, please click the link below:
Highlights of some volunteer roles and task:
- Food for Teachers and School Staff: Help us support our AISD teachers and school staff with pizza or potluck style food and dessert dishes for Teacher Appreciation seasonal events during the school year at our partner schools, Pecan Springs Elementary School and Norman-Sims Elementary School.
- Food for Scholars and Families: help prepare or serve kid-friendly, parent-friendly meals and healthy snacks during our Freedom Schools programs for elementary school ages scholars and their families and guests. Locations for these pop-up events vary.
- Read Aloud Guest: Read a picture book, one day, as a read aloud guest to K-5th grade scholars. (In-person, virtual-Zoom, and pre-recorded opportunities).
- Pop-Up Event Educator: demonstrate and teach elementary school age schools hands-on activities such as STEM and Art projects at school and community events; join in or lead Freedom Schools cheers and chants at Harambee or Read Alouds (we’ll teach you!); play games, toss or kick a ball, jump rope, draw with sidewalk chalk, and have recess style fun on the playground or in the field.
- Pop-Up Event Group Facilitator: Hold meaningful conversations with parents, grandparents, guardians, and other members of our Freedom Schools community.
- Pop-Up Event Set Up: Load in boxes of food, books, teaching materials, or equipment; set up and break down tables, tents, and/or audio-visual equipment; arrange bookstore displays, etc.. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Pop-Up Event Photographer and Videographer: Capture the spirit of Freedom Schools with great candid photos and videos.