Freedom Schools®’ paid Servant Leader Interns facilitate a literacy rich curriculum during the mornings and lead/chaperone STEAM (Science Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) activities and field trips in the afternoons with rising K-5th grade scholars. Interns also help serve breakfast, snack, and lunch. Attendance at several parent meetings during the summer, typically on weeknights, is expected.
SLIs receive 2 weeks of national and local training in May/June, then Freedom School is in session for 6 weeks in the summer, Monday-Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. All expenses related to travel and training are paid by Welcome Table Inc., a Freedom Schools® partner.
- Serve as energetic leaders during Harambee’, the morning gathering.
- Deliver the Integrated Reading Curriculum to a class of ten scholars for 6 weeks.
- Serve as leaders of afternoon STEAM activities and other special events and chaperone field trips.
- Collaborate with the program staff to establish and maintain a positive, supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care.
- Maintain health and safety standards & accurate records relating to attendance, assessment and first aid.
- Set-up, maintain and breakdown classroom space.
At least 19 years old, enrolled in college and completed at least 1 year of undergraduate studies with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or college graduate with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to email us at Freedom School Austin.
About Freedom Schools®
Founded in 1995 by the Children’s Defense Fund, Freedom Schools® program is a direct service initiative which provides summer options for scholars while strengthening parent and community involvement in the year-round achievement of scholars. Freedom Schools® serve rising K-5th grade scholars for six weeks teaching integrate reading, STEAM activities, conflict resolution, and social action in an activity-based curriculum that promotes social, cultural, and historical awareness.
Built around the theme “I Can Make a Difference in Myself, My Family, My Community, My Country and My World with Hope, Action and Education,” Freedom Schools® provide a literacy-rich, culturally-inspiring curriculum in which scholars learn to love to read and explore STEAM activities. Using multicultural role models, community guests who share personal stories of making a difference, cooperative games, and activities for critical thinking, the children gain confidence and skills to strengthen their school-year performance.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume, to Freedom School Austin.